It is a famous beach on the east side of the island near the mountain village of Anafonitria. Clear waters, white sand, impressive cliffs and the half-submerged carcass of a ship compose a fantastic setting.
The German traveler E.L. Salvatos mentions in 1901, for the area of the Shipwreck, that it was a very small beach with black stones. Elders of the area say that until 1920 there was a very small beach called Spirili.
After 1922, the first remarkable beach was initially created by landslides, which was approximately up to the point where the boat is today. The last landslide after the Shipwreck created today’s beach.
The shipwreck is dated to 1983, while the ship that sank was carrying smuggled cigarettes.
On 2 -2-1980 and time 05:00 the ship “PANAGIOTIS” with a crew of five was carrying a load of 1895 boxes of cigarettes. While the ship was sailing in the sea area between Kefalonia – Zakynthos, the main engine was damaged and remained unmanned. As a result, it ran aground on the rocky and steep coast NE of the island of Zakynthos where it is located until today. There were three (3) Greeks on board as a crew for repairing a mechanical failure and one Italian as a cargo attendant.
The crew disembarked on a rocky shore, where they crossed an inaccessible mountainous area and reached the Community of Volimon, where they informed the Volimon Gendarmerie Station about the incident.
Even today the beach has access only from the sea.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.